Need help paying rent? UNITE HERE! Local 5 is assisting Catholic Charities Hawaii with its program to pay rent (and potentially mortgage) for those who have lost income due to COVID-19. There is over $50 million in grant money available!
This program launched on Tuesday, September 8.
What Would This Money Help With?
- Any rent that has not been paid between August 1, 2020 to December 28, 2020.
- A check will be mailed directly to the landlord or property manager.
- Money cannot be used for a month of rent that has already been paid for.
- Money cannot be used if you are signed up for another rent assistance program.
Am I Eligible?
Current eligibility requirements are below. These may change.
- Age 18 or Older
- Full-time resident at full-time residence on any island
- Demonstrated loss of income [Local 5 will provide a letter for members stating that you have been furloughed, laid off, or had hours reduced.]
- Current household gross income of 100% AMI or below
- What does that mean? On the chart below, find which island you live on and how many people live in your apartment. The number in that box is the Area Median Income (AMI)
- Next, calculate what you would make in one year based on what you have made for the past two pay checks. For all working adults in the household, use the last two paystubs to do this. For all adults on unemployment, use the amount you receive weekly (or, for some, bi-weekly). Do not include the extra $600/week if you received it.
- If the total income in your household is LESS than the number in the box, you are eligible.
- Note: Your savings and assets will not be considered. Just your current income.
What Documents Do I Need?
- Government Photo ID for the main applicant
- Social Security Card for all adults
- For I9 Holders (COFA migrants), your government ID is enough. Use the number on your government ID instead of a social security number.
- Documented loss of income due to COVID-19 [Local 5 will send this to you]
- For all working adults: 2 most current paystubs
- For all adults: Unemployment/PUA weekly benefit amount [Screenshot works]
- Any other income the household is receiving (social security, disability, welfare)
- Food stamps/TANF are NOT included
- One of the following:
- Rental Agreement. If you do not have a rental agreement, please fill out the Hawaii Standard Residential Lease Agreement with your landlord or property manager.
- HOA statement
- Mortgage statement, notice of foreclosure, and modification of loan statement
What Happens Once I Apply? 
- After you fill out the online application, Catholic Charities Hawaii will let you know within a few days that they have received it.
- Within approximately ten days of receiving your application, Catholic Charities Hawaii will let you know if you have been approved.
- A few days after your approval, Catholic Charities Hawaii will send a check directly to your landlord for the months you were approved for.
- If there is an issue with your application, Catholic Charities Hawaii will work with Local 5 to help you fix it.
Where to Apply
Please fill out the form below to receive a link to the application. In the mean time, we will help you get your documents together. Please fill out the form below so that we can send you a letter certifying that you have lost income due to COVID-19.
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY FILLED OUT THIS FORM
All applications are processed within 2 working days. If you have not received an email reply to your application, either you already applied, your email address was wrong, the email we sent you may be in your junk folder, or you did not qualify. For questions, please email [email protected].”
 Catholic Charities Hawaii is solely responsible for making determinations about eligibility and approval for this program.