Below are our current employment opportunities at UNITE HERE Local 5:
Contract Enforcement Team (CET) Organizer
This position is always guided by principles of contract enforcement. Candidate must be willing to investigate and learn language in the collective bargaining agreement and push both management and members on how the language should be interpreted. We fight with the members, not for the members.
- Investigate, file, process, resolve grievances
- Organize workers and develop leaders to assist Union and members in contract enforcement
- Develop relationships and facilitate grievance meetings with Human Resources—organize workers to participate
- Draft correspondence and review documents provided by Human Resources in response to grievances
- Work with a team to learn how to interpret contract language
- Maintain and keep organized several grievance files simultaneously
- Drivers’ license or willingness to get one; travel to neighbor islands may be necessary
- Communicate effectively—with Human Resources as well as members. This may require having difficult (and sometimes uncomfortable) conversations about workplace issues
- Independently keep track of multiple deadlines
- Ability to take initiative in coming up with strategies for how to investigate and resolve workplace issues
- Flexibility! In hours/schedule; in pushing management and workers; in strategizing how to approach grievance issues
- Detail-oriented, resourceful, and can manage grievances and investigations on a multitude of issues and in a variety of properties
- Proficient in Microsoft Word
- Ability to read, analyze CBA language, and willingness to learn history of how language has been interpreted
- Use resources available to assist in how to approach contract interpretation issues and how to interpret CBA language
For more information & to apply: If interested, email resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in doing Contract Enforcement to: Tammy Omoso at [email protected], or by mail c/o 1516 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96826.
About Local 5: UNITE HERE Local 5 is the most dynamic labor union in Hawai’i. Because we represent workers in the State’s most important industries, tourism & health care, and because we have a deep commitment to the growth of the labor movement, working at Local 5 provides an opportunity to have a great impact on the struggle to better Hawai’i’s communities and to set the pace for the labor movement statewide. Local 5 represents over 11,000 hotel, health care and hospitality workers throughout Hawaii and is an affiliate of UNITE HERE, an international union that represents over 250,000 workers throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply. May require travel. Salary is commensurate with experience. Position includes excellent benefits.