https://www.unitehere5.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5457.jpg 4000 6000 Bryant de Venecia /wp-content/uploads/local5-1.jpg Bryant de Venecia2018-10-09 05:00:182018-10-09 02:35:59Marriott Strike Bulletin: Day 2
We started off our strike with strong turnout at all 5 picket lines, sending a message loud and clear to Marriott and Kyo-ya that one job should be enough to live in Hawai‘i!
Yesterday’s victories include:
- Hawaii Sheet Metal Workers Union honored our strike and checked out of 100 rooms that were booked for a week at Sheraton Maui for their conference.
- A United Airlines flight crew honored our strike and checked out of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani.
IUEC Local 126 elevator workers honored our strike and refused to do work at the Kyo-ya Waikiki hotels.
- Members of Academic Labor United and American Federation of Teachers joined us on the picket line.
- Royal Hawaiian worker Janal Kaina spoke at a Standing with Survivors action at UH Manoa about our Marriott strike and our demand for the company to respect women.
- Senator Mazie Hirono released a public statement standing in solidarity with us, which went viral on her social media accounts.
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: “Local 5 hotel workers strike in Waikiki and on Maui”
- HuffPost: “Thousands Of Marriott Workers Strike In 7 Cities”
- USA Today: “Marriott workers on strike in eight US cities”
- The New York Times: “2,700 Workers at Major Hawaii Hotels Join National Strike”
- Honolulu Civil Beat: “2,700 Workers Strike At Popular Waikiki Hotels”
- Hawaii Public Radio: “2,700 Marriott Hotel Workers Strike for Job Security and Higher Wages”
- Pacific Business News: “Marriott hotel workers begin strike in Hawaii”
- KHON 2: “Thousands of Marriott Hotel workers on strike across Maui and Oahu”
- Hawaii News Now: “2,700 hotel workers at 5 Waikiki hotels go on strike”
- KITV 4: “Unite Here Local 5! on strike, impacting multiple Hawaii hotels”