Our #MarriottStrike has been going on for nine solid days and is making a real impact on the company. The general managers’ letters to guests say that guest services are limited or eliminated. Supportive guests are sending us photos of long lines, dirty rooms, and lack of amenities.
Marriott and Kyo-ya knew we authorized a strike on September 10, yet they did not inform guests. They are still not informing guests about our strike until they check in. Even with limited services, many guests are still paying full price for their rooms.
Our hotels are making record profits off our work. We are the ones who care about our guests. The company doesn’t care about workers or guests. They only care about their bottom line.
Victories and highlights from yesterday:
- Rep. Tulsi Gabbard made a public statement supporting our strike!
- Waikiki strikers picketed at HiEmployment, a staffing agency that’s sending strike breakers to striking hotels.
- Sheraton Maui workers delegated PWC (People Who Clean) because they are sending scabs to cross our picket line.
- Our #Relayfor1job marched from Kualoa to Laie. We will continue through the North Shore for the next few days.
- Local 5 retirees have been volunteering at our Strike HQ every day since our strike began. They fought for the wages, benefits, and job security that we have today. They continue to fight now. Now it’s our turn to fight for the future generations.
- Members of UNITE HERE Local 8 at the Westin Seattle reached a tentative contract agreement with Marriott! Our Marriott strike has been so powerful that the company settled in Seattle, which authorized a strike by 98%, to contain our strike from spreading.
- KITV: “Hotel employee on strike detained for trespassing”
- Hawaii Public Radio: “No Talks Scheduled Yet in Hotel Strike”
- Balitang America: “Hawaii Marriott employees push for better pay, working conditions”
- Maui Now: “Strikers at Sheraton Maui Issued Trespass Citations”
- Skift: “How Big a Problem Are the Growing Worker Strikes for Marriott?”
- eTurboNews: “Kyo-ya’s Sheraton Maui trespasses 3 employees over strike leaflets”