https://www.unitehere5.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6118.jpg 4000 6000 Bryant de Venecia /wp-content/uploads/local5-1.jpg Bryant de Venecia2018-10-17 08:00:462021-04-22 14:56:26Marriott Strike: Day 10 bulletin
Lots of victories to report on:
- Our #Relayfor1job marched from Laie to Waimea. Turtle Bay Resort workers waved signs with us, supporting our strike.
- Plumbers and Fitters Union Local 675 moved their Membership Benefits Conference out of the Sheraton Waikiki to honor our strike!
- Strikers delegated the GM of Prince Waikiki after we learned that a banquet manager emailed employees about scabbing at the striking hotels. The GM disavowed this in an email to workers and in a letter to Eric Gill stating: “We are not encouraging or providing assistance to our employees to work at a struck property.”
- Local 5 filed an unfair labor practice charge against Sheraton Maui for trespassing 3 employees for leafletting.
- Hula and Tahitian dancers performed at each of our Waikiki picket lines to support our fight.
- KHON 2: “Turtle Bay Resort Local 5 workers support hotel workers’ strike efforts”
- Hawaii News Now: “Hotel workers strike could impact a a major convention and charity event”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: “Marriott hotel workers strike for 2nd week”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: “Strike by Marriott hotel workers leaves some guests grumbling”
- Pacific Business News: “No negotiations planned as Marriott hotel worker strike continues”
- Maui Now: “UNITE HERE Local 5 Files Unfair Labor Practice Charge Against Sheraton Maui”
- The Maui News: “Sheraton worker is handcuffed, banned for year”
- ThinkProgress: “Hawaiian hotel workers want better pay for state’s high cost of living”
- eTurboNews: “Unfair labor practice charge filed against Sheraton Maui for banning its employees”