https://www.unitehere5.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6118.jpg 4000 6000 Bryant de Venecia /wp-content/uploads/local5-1.jpg Bryant de Venecia2018-10-17 08:00:462021-04-22 14:56:26Marriott Strike: Day 10 bulletin
Marriott Strike: Day 10 bulletin
View PDF version of Marriott Strike Day 10 bulletin here.
View all photos from Marriott Strike Day 9.
Keep strong, keep fighting on! Our picket lines have been solid. Support from community and guests keeps pouring in. We’ve been getting huge turnout to our #Relayfor1job
Lots of victories to report on:
- Our #Relayfor1job marched from Laie to Waimea. Turtle Bay Resort workers waved signs with us, supporting our strike.
- Plumbers and Fitters Union Local 675 moved their Membership Benefits Conference out of the Sheraton Waikiki to honor our strike!
- Strikers delegated the GM of Prince Waikiki after we learned that a banquet manager emailed employees about scabbing at the striking hotels. The GM disavowed this in an email to workers and in a letter to Eric Gill stating: “We are not encouraging or providing assistance to our employees to work at a struck property.”
- Local 5 filed an unfair labor practice charge against Sheraton Maui for trespassing 3 employees for leafletting.
- Hula and Tahitian dancers performed at each of our Waikiki picket lines to support our fight.
- KHON 2: “Turtle Bay Resort Local 5 workers support hotel workers’ strike efforts”
- Hawaii News Now: “Hotel workers strike could impact a a major convention and charity event”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: “Marriott hotel workers strike for 2nd week”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: “Strike by Marriott hotel workers leaves some guests grumbling”
- Pacific Business News: “No negotiations planned as Marriott hotel worker strike continues”
- Maui Now: “UNITE HERE Local 5 Files Unfair Labor Practice Charge Against Sheraton Maui”
- The Maui News: “Sheraton worker is handcuffed, banned for year”
- ThinkProgress: “Hawaiian hotel workers want better pay for state’s high cost of living”
- eTurboNews: “Unfair labor practice charge filed against Sheraton Maui for banning its employees”